Sunday, April 25, 2010

Scatter Sunshine: May Day Project

One of my favorite Springtime memories from my childhood was when my little sister and I would celebrate May Day! {The old-fashion tradition is to secretly leave a basket of flowers and treats on a neighbors doorstep demonstrating the gift of giving without receiving. The basket giver would ring the bell and run away. The person receiving the basket would try to catch the fleeing giver. If they caught the person, a kiss was to be exchanged.}
We usually picked roses from my Mom's garden and rolled up some decorated construction paper for a flower cone. We would place the flowers on the doorknob, ring the door bell and hide, or run home really fast, wondering if anyone saw us, giggling the whole way home. I always imagined them opening the door and smiling, and I hoped it made them feel special.
This year, I want to bring back those memories and traditions by starting a May Day Project! Join with me on Saturday, May 1st to secretly deliver small flower baskets or bouquets to your neighbors or loved ones. This would also be a fun thing to do at nursing homes, orphanages, and hospitals (but plan ahead, you may need special permission.) If you have children, involve them in the process of making the baskets, choosing the recipients and secretly delivering them. This is a really fun way to scatter some sunshine without spending any money and not a whole lot of time!
Leave a comment of commitment that you'll do this and please let us know how it goes! I hope you don't get caught, but if you do, remember to give a kiss!! :)


Here are a few fun home-made basket and flower ideas for those of you who don't have a garden or would like to include your children in this fun project!
Tissue paper flowers
Preschool Craft: Paper Flowers with Straw Stems
May Day Cone
Cute Cone Template and Tag (shown in picture above)
Cone Template
Flowers & Vase made from Toilet Paper Rolls
Paper Plate Flower Basket
Charming May Day Basket
Home Made Paper Basket
May Day Baskets

4 comments:

Kirsti said...

I'm so excited! I think I'll cover formula cans with paper and attach a ribbon.

Gerb said...

I am excited to commit to do this. My brother and I used to love May Day so we could leave little baskets.

Christine Dallimore said...

Oh Kirsti-- That is such a fun idea...LOVE IT!!!

Lynn said...

I've only heard about this MAY DAY tradition just this year. I've read about it on many blogs. I wonder how I got this OLD and never heard about it before?? LOL! I guess it's because blogging has opened up a whole new world to me. So cool.

We will certainly try and do this. It might be a little tricky since we will be committed to cleaning up the Huge stretch of highway as a family and ward. Part of Alberta's Clean Highways program. Might have to bring a basket along with us and leave in someone's backpack or car along the way. ; D Kidding.

We'll think of something.